Find out how a call with your Course Advisor will help and what to do to make sure you get the most out of your session
Meeting with your Course Advisor is a valuable experience if you're looking to explore your career options, make a change in your current job or are looking to progress in your education.
We know that some people can have anxiety before their meetings, but don't worry! Your course advisor is here to help. We've put together this handy guide to help you know what to expect when meeting with your course advisor for the first time.
How Long Will It Take?
It depends! But most introductory calls usually last between 10 and 15 minutes.
What Should I Expect?
Your meeting with a course advisor meeting is about you! You will probably be doing most of the talking and are totally in control. Your course advisor will try to make the picture clearer for you and help you to plan your next steps.
- A chat! Your course advisor is here to take the time to understand your strengths, what you're looking for from your education and what your goals are for the future. Your course advisor may also ask you some questions about your career and educational history. This is a judgement free space for you to discuss your interests and goals, everything is confidential and between you and your advisor!
- Your course advisor will likely ask you questions to better understand your personal situation: how much time you have available to study, how you like to learn and what the first step towards success looks like for you. This will help you be sure that the course you choose will balance your educational goals with your personal responsibilities.
- They will also provide expert information about different course options and career paths. Such as when classes are offered, who the instructors are, what the course content will cover and information about different industries, job titles, and required qualifications for various careers.
- Support for decision-making. Taking the next step in your education can cause some anxiety, and your course advisor will provide guidance and support as you make your choice. They have experience working with students and will help you weigh the pros and cons of different options, and help you identify potential roadblocks that you may encounter.
- Follow-up and ongoing support. Your course advisor will provide follow-up support as you implement your educational plan and continue to grow. They will help you stay on track, provide feedback, and offer additional resources as needed.
What Do I Need With Me?
Most importantly, an open mind! We also recommend having a quiet and private space for the call.
What Does It Cost?
Meeting with a course advisor is a free service and ongoing student support is provided to all Elephant & Cross students.